How We Protect Your Privacy
We handle and protect your personal health information in accordance with Ontario’s Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA) and any other laws that we are required to follow. We provide training, follow established policies, and take other steps to ensure that our staff and anyone else acting on our behalf protects your privacy.
Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Health Information
Your request for care from us implies consent for our collection, use, and disclosure of your personal health information for the following purposes:
- to provide and assist in the provision of health care to you through our services, programs, and facilities;
- to get payment for health care and any related goods and services provided to you, including from OHIP, your private insurer, WSIB, and others as necessary;
- to plan, administer, and manage the operation of our services, programs, and facilities;
- to manage risk and improve the quality and safety of our services and programs;
- to educate or train our agents to provide health care;
- to conduct research activities as approved by a research ethics board;
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements; and,
- to fulfill other purposes that are permitted or required by law.
From time to time, we may communicate about your care with your other health care providers, including collecting, using, and disclosing your personal health information through electronic medical information systems (sometimes called electronic health records, eHealth records, electronic medical records, etc.). If you would like more information about the electronic medical information systems we use, please speak with our Privacy Contact.
Any uses of your personal health information other than those mentioned above would require your express consent.
Your Rights and Choices
PHIPA provides you with certain rights related to your personal health information under our custody or control. Please communicate with our Privacy Contact for more information related to your rights:
- to see and get a copy of your personal health information;
- to ask us to make corrections to inaccurate or incomplete personal health information;
- to withdraw your consent to our collection and use of your personal health information or its disclosure to other health care providers (subject to certain legal obligations); and,
- to be informed if your personal health information is lost, stolen or improperly accessed.
Our Privacy Contact
For more information or to raise a concern about our privacy practices, please contact our Privacy Contact:
Email: [email protected]
Mailing Address: 100 Colborne St. N. Suite F, Simcoe ON. N3Y 3V1
The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario is responsible for making sure that privacy law is followed in Ontario. For more information about your privacy rights, or if you are unable to resolve an issue directly with our
Privacy Contact and wish to make a complaint, contact:
Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
Email: [email protected]
Toll Free: 1-800-387-0073